"It Is My Duty As A Pararescueman To Save Life And To Aid The Injured.

I Will Be Prepared At All Times To Perform My Assigned Duties Quickly And Efficiently, Placing These Duties Before Personal Desires And Comforts.

These Things I Do, That Others May Live."

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

To Go Beyond

Initially, Pararescue wasn't my first choice. As a kid I always had a fascination with airplanes; I wanted to fly. During my first couple of years at Florida Atlantic University in addition to my classes, fraternity obligations, and part-time job I enrolled into a flight program through Lynn University.

Flying was fun! But with so much on my plate it was too much to focus on. I just didn't have the time. Unfortunately, enlisted men (and women) can't be pilots in the USAF. A college degree is required if you wish to fly. In the situation I found myself in I could have easily walked right back into the recruiter's office and began the paperwork for a commission. However, personally I have had my fill of college and classes irrelevant to what I want to do. Now granted perhaps that is my fault for not going to an institution with majors I would be interested in, but thousands of kids do the same thing, going from major to major trying to find what suits them. Some may find what they were look for, I think most don't. Most college students probably just end up going along with one thing or another until they get a degree in it. Then go figure, upon graduating no jobs are to be found and they end up rallying against the government and marching on Wall Street.

No thanks!

Suffice it to say that I've had my fill of school and I think I've already established why I was convinced of going the enlisted route. But why Pararescue? Granted, it wasn't my only choice. The recruiter's make you list multiple careers, anywhere from 4-8 I believe. It kind of sucks, odds are there are only two maybe three careers one person would actually be interested in. Anyways, I'll get into the details of that and my experience with MEPS at a later date.

Moreover, in high school during my Navy JROTC days I was infatuated with the idea of becoming a Navy SEAL. SEALs for those of you that don't know are the Navy's elite special combat warfare group. Essentially they are the go to guys. Odds are if you're reading this or if you have even turned on the news recently you've heard the stories and followed the headlines, you have heard of the SEALs. Well like any kid pumped full of arrogance and testosterone I wanted to be one. Do things people couldn't fathom, go places people have never dreamed of, carry out tasks only kids accomplished in their video games. Needless to say this line of thinking didn't stay with me. It wasn't that I didn't want to do these things but I wanted something more, I wanted to help people.

A Pararescueman goes beyond the call of duty and saves lives, they rescue those in danger and in need of assistance and bring them back home. Navy SEALs help protect our borders but do so through violence. I am not a violent person and I don't want my mission to be solely the elimination of a "target." I want to help people. Granted PJ's carry rifles and must and will retaliate if necessary but it isn't the core of their mission. The purpose of a PJ and the work involved resonate with who I am on a more profound level than other military career. I will become the best of the best and be there for others when they have no one else to call upon. I will save lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment