"It Is My Duty As A Pararescueman To Save Life And To Aid The Injured.

I Will Be Prepared At All Times To Perform My Assigned Duties Quickly And Efficiently, Placing These Duties Before Personal Desires And Comforts.

These Things I Do, That Others May Live."

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Recruiter's Office


   Sitting down at my desk I quickly Google searched where I could find the closest Air Force recruiter. One quick phone call later and I had an appointment scheduled. Now by this point my mom had already mentioned Pararescue to me but I was clueless as to what it was and what it really encompassed. I decided to take her advice and did a little research. From what I found it looks like PJs (Pararescue Jumpers) are all enlisted man and that there is a similar job called CRO or combat Rescue Officer for officers of the Air Force. Upon calling the recruiter for the first time he asked me for my information: name, education, what my interest was, etc. Upon hearing that I almost had a completed college degree he thought I would make a good officer candidate. I say candidate because according to what I was told the Air Force is 300% over staffed. Because of this they can choose to be as selective as they wish in whom they allow to become their Officers and Airmen.

   Now I don’t know if any of you have ever had an experience with a recruiter be it any branch of the military, but it is an arduous process. As I walked into the recruiter’s office I promptly introduce myself and shook his hand. I brought my mother along with me to keep me company and perhaps give me some more insight as she spent her life in service to the Air Force. The recruiter whom I had spoken to on the phone forgot my name. He forgot what it was I said I was interested in. He had failed to prepare any thing to give to me other than his general spiel. This was red flag number one. To his credit however, he did pull up a website and tell me that the information I was looking for and requirements for the CRO position were listed somewhere on there. The funny thing is I had already scoured that website, bookmarked and printed out that information for later use.

   During my first meeting with a recruiter he made it apparent to me that he was the officer recruiter and told me of the long approval process I would have to go through in order to become an officer. I had to compile a packet filled with letters of recommendation, awards I had received, and extracurricular activities I had participated in. Dear God! It was a college application all over again! This was red flag number two.

   It gets even better though! My mom, who enlisted in the Air Force and retired as a Master Sergeant (E-7), started small talk with my recruiter who likewise was an E-7. I wasn’t paying attention at first as I was going through the packet I was handed, but as I started listening they were talking about how great their enlisted careers were, how much more fulfilling it was to take the hands on approach in their careers as apposed to the managerial officer position. Red flag number three!

   At that moment in time I had it settled in my mind. I walked out of that office sure of one thing, I am not going to join the Air Force as an officer but I will enlist and become a Pararescue Jumper, using the skills I am taught and develop to save lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment