"It Is My Duty As A Pararescueman To Save Life And To Aid The Injured.

I Will Be Prepared At All Times To Perform My Assigned Duties Quickly And Efficiently, Placing These Duties Before Personal Desires And Comforts.

These Things I Do, That Others May Live."

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Staying Motivated: Immersion

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
            -Jim Ryuh

These immortal words spoken by Mr. Jim Ryuh embody the entire philosophy of finding within oneself motivation. The problem isn’t taking that first step, it is discovering the desire to keep going, and creating the habits that will help you persevere.

Staying motivated can be a very difficult task, whether you are like me and are trying to pursue a career in the Special Forces community, or like my cousin who is working hard through nursing school, maybe even a writer struggling to sit down and find that inspiration or create that outline for your next work. It is difficult. Regardless of your dreams, goals, accomplishments, status, race, sex, IT IS DIFFICULT! So why do it?

The answer is simple, “why not?” We are (for all intensive purposes) only given this life. This moment, the right here, the now, it is the only thing that you have guaranteed. Nothing is promised in your future, your life could end. It may seem depressing or morose but it is a fact. Ask yourself, “If it does end tonight as I lay in bed closing my eyes to sleep, will I be happy with what I’ve accomplished and how I have lived my life? Will I be proud of what I left behind?”

Seriously contemplating this question can create a profound sense of self and reality. I had a night like this once and I couldn’t sleep, the question haunted me the entire week.

I was in a low place at this time and knew that I had to do something. I found within myself that motivation and desire to better myself. Not because of the way I felt I had to look or to fit in, but because I knew it would better myself. I am of course referring to my switch from being physically inactive to being proactive to the point that I am working out twice a day and lifting weights in between.

Mentally, it is up to you to figure out what it is you want and how you go about breaking it to yourself in order to make that change and find the drive.

Once you have mentally made the commitment all that is left is following through with it. And why wouldn’t you!? You told yourself that you were going to do something, you (most likely) told others the same, until you do it or follow through with your words, you are nothing more than a liar and your word means nothing. Your word is naught but hot air at that point.

For me, once I decided on my career path I made the commitment to join a gym, I sought out a peer with a similar goal to train with. I began reading anything I could find relevant to Pararescue. I’ve seen every documentary made about it (links below, some are in video bar), scoured every website, created motivational posters with quotes from PJ “Bob” and words of wisdom from my father. I surrounded myself with it. I immersed myself in it. I made a plan stuck with it and ate, slept, and dreamt Pararescue. I went so far as meditating to mentally train myself and started memorizing human anatomy.

To make a long post short, find what it is that makes you want to be great, to go further in life, or make you happy. Then do it.

Forbidden Places: USAF Pararescue/Combat Controller

Surviving the Cut: USAF Pararescue

No comments:

Post a Comment